8.6 billion m3 of water was abstracted by thermal power plants
According to the results of Thermal Power Plants Water, Wastewater and Waste Statistics Survey, 8.6 billion m3 of water, of which 98.4% from sea, was abstracted by thermal power plants in 2016 and 98.3% of total abstracted water was used as cooling water.
8.5 billion m3 wastewater was discharged by thermal power plants
Out of 8.5 billion m3 wastewater discharged, 98.9% was cooling water and 99.7% of total wastewater was discharged to the sea.
19.5 million tonnes of waste was generated in thermal power plants
19.5 million tonnes of waste, of which 12 thousand tonnes was hazardous, was generated in thermal power plants. The major component of the waste generated by thermal power plants was ash and slag with a ratio of 87.8%. The remaining 12.2% included wastewater treatment sludges, chemical wastes, paper, plastic, metallic waste and household and similar waste. Considering the treatment and disposal methods; 83.3% of waste was disposed of in ash disposal area/ash dam or in controlled landfilled sites, while 16.7% was sent to licensed waste treatment facilities and mines/quarries.
Within the scope of Thermal Power Plants Water, Wastewater and Waste Statistics, all thermal power plants in operation with an installed capacity of 100 megawatt (MW) and more are covered.